Sibyllans was founded in 1916 by a coffee enthusiast by the name of Hilmer Hansson. Nordiska Kaffebolaget, as the company was called in those days, was based on Skeppargatan but soon moved (in 1918) to its current premises on Sibyllegatan in the Östermalm district of Stockholm. And virtually all of the shop’s décor has remained intact ever since.
Hilmer, who ran the store with his two brothers, Sixten and Wilhelm, focused on roasting and selling coffee until the outbreak of World War II, when coffee rationing was introduced in Sweden. So Sibyllans started selling tea as well. The Sir William’s blend, named after Wilhelm, soon became a real favourite – and remains so to this day.
Sibyllans was run by the same family for several generations, but in 2009, the company was sold to Henrik Berg, a true coffee fanatic and tea lover, who is passionate about spreading good tea culture.